IRAN has boasted that it could have brought down another US aircraft, this time carrying passengers, in a warning shot to Donald Trump.
express breaking news
Iran warns US it had power to bring down passenger plane after drone attack (Image: EXPRESS)
Amirali Hajizadeh, head of the Revolutionary Guards aerospace division, said it refrained from downing the P-8 jet, carrying 35 people, as it simply wanted to warn the US to back off.
The P-8 was accompanying the US drone, as it flew through international airspace, before it was downed by Iran.
According to Tasnim news agency, Mr Hajizadeh said: “With the US drone in the region there was also an American P-8 plane with 35 people on board. This plane also entered our airspace and we could have shot it down, but we did not.”
Iran brought down a US military drone on Thursday, warning Donald Trump it would defend its “red lines”.
Donald Trump retaliated, mobilising his warships and jets in the area ready to strike Iranian military bases in a missile attack. But he withdrew at the last minute.
Tensions have been riding high since US President Donald Trump pulled out of the Iran nuclear deal, reimposing sanctions.
The US earlier this month blamed Iran for an attack on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman, claiming it had video footage showing Iranian military removing an unexploded missile off one of the foreign ships. Iran denied it was behind the strikes.